What is Dermatographia?
What is Dermatographia? Dermatographia is one of the most common skin diseases experienced by children and young adults, especially those who are suffering from other skin diseases such as dermatitis.
Symptoms of Dermatographia
When scratched, dermatographia skin sufferers will experience a swelling of a line such as biduran that can sometimes be itchy. Certain temperatures also potentially exacerbate this condition, such as cold or hot air. So also with dry air or water that is too hot.
These symptoms will generally disappear after 30 minutes without special handling. However, if not recovered or getting worse, it is recommended to see a doctor.
Causes of Dermatographia
The cause behind this skin disease is not known for certain, but there are several factors that are thought to increase the risk of dermatographia. Some of them are:
- Allergic reactions, such as due to friction of clothing.
- Scratched skin, for example due to carded.
- Certain infections.
- Drugs, for example penicillin.
- Exercise that causes skin friction, such as wrestling.
Treatment of Dermatographia
Dermatographia includes conditions that can not be cured. The goal of treatment is to relieve symptoms experienced by the patient.
If after some time the swelling on the skin does not go away by itself, the doctor will give you an antihistamine drug, such as diphenhydramine, fexofenadine, or cetirizine.
Antihistamines work by inhibiting the production of histamine in the body. This drug can also reduce the itching on the biduran.
Prevention of Dermatographia
There are several ways we can do to prevent or alleviate the symptoms of dermatographia, among which are:
- Avoid things that can cause skin irritation. For example, wearing clothes with rough material, using soap with harsh chemicals, or soaking in water that is too hot.
- Not scratching the skin.
- Overcoming stress by exercising regularly, getting enough sleep, and relaxing the mind.
- Always keep skin moist.
- Use an air humidifier when the air condition in the room is too dry.