What is Candidiasis?
What is Candidiasis? Candidiasis is an infection caused by Candida fungus. This mushroom has more than 20 types. However, the most common type of Candida that causes infection is Candida albicans.
Candiadisis can appear in various parts of the human body. The most common body part of this infection is the mouth and around the genitals. Other body parts that can be infected with Candida infection are nails, esophagus, the area around the anus, and the digestive tract.
The symptoms that arise vary according to the location of the infection. Here’s a detailed explanation of the symptoms at the most common location of Candida infection.
Candidiasis of the Mouth (Oral Trush)
Common symptoms of oral candidiasis include white spots in the mouth and tongue, the skin at the corners of the mouth is cracked, and redness in the oral cavity. Sore throat and difficulty swallowing may also be experienced by the patient.
Candidiasis infection around the genitals
This fungal infection is a common cause of vaginal irritation, but can also be experienced by men (especially uncircumcised men). Symptoms of fungal infections in women include an overwhelming itch that feels around the vagina, the part around the vagina is red and sore, and whitish that clot like cheese. While the symptoms in men are usually a red rash on the penis, itching and burning sensation at the tip of the penis, and odor.
Fungal infections in genitalia include sexually transmitted diseases, especially in partners. Therefore, treatment as soon as possible is very important for infected patients.
Fungal infections should be treated immediately, especially those that are already severe. If left untreated and left too long, candidiasis can potentially cause the fungus to enter into the bloodstream and trigger the infection in the blood.
Causes and Risk Factors Candidiasis Disease
Under normal conditions, Candida fungus is already present on the surface of human skin. But if the breed excessively, especially on the moist part of the body, this fungus will trigger the occurrence of infection. Several factors that are thought to increase the risk of fungal infections are:
- Age. Fungal infections are more common in infants and the elderly. For example, diaper rash in infants.
- Weak immune systems, such as people with HIV, patients undergoing chemotherapy, and steroid users.
- Chronic illness, such as diabetes.
- Certain drugs, such as antibiotics.
Treatment and Prevention of Candidiasis
The treatment that will be undertaken by each person will vary, depending on the location of the infection, the severity, and the health condition of the patient. There are various types of anti-fungal drugs that can be purchased freely in nearby pharmacies to treat yeast infections you are experiencing. However, make sure you always see a doctor to confirm the diagnosis. This is done so that the selected medication is perfectly suited to the type of yeast infection you are having.
Here is an example of a type of drug that may be recommended based on the type of candidiasis experienced by the patient.
- Oral candidiasis may be treated with a mouthwash or gel antifungal. The length of treatment required generally ranges from one to two weeks. Your doctor may give you an anti-fungal medication in tablet or capsule form.
- Candida infection around the genitalia can be treated with anti-fungal creams, suppositories, and tablets.
- Diaper rash from candidiasis can be given antifungals in the form of creams, ointments, and powders.
In addition to drugs, there are several ways to speed up the cure of mouth candidiasis infection, among others:
- Maintain cleanliness, such as diligent brushing teeth, regular dental care to the doctor, and clean between the teeth with dental floss or dental floss regularly.
- Quit smoking.
As for accelerating the cure of Candida infection around the genitals, you can do the following things:
- Wear underwear made of cotton.
- Do not wear underwear that is too tight.
- Avoid using soap containing perfume in the sex organs.
- Make sure the intimate organs are always dry, especially after cleaning or after bathing.