Treatment of Impotence For Male
The treatment of impotence will depend on the known cause through the diagnosis. For example, if impotence is caused by diabetes or heart disease, then both conditions should be treated first. Impotence will usually recover by itself after the underlying condition is successfully treated.
If your impotence is caused by a psychological disorder, then treatment should be performed by a related specialist, such as a psychologist or psychiatrist. Examples of treatments can be counseling to discuss problems in your relationship with your partner and find a solution, or through therapy to improve the mindset triggers impotence.
If impotence is caused by side effects of medicines that you are taking, then you should see your doctor again for further review whether the drug should still be consumed or searched alternatively.
In order for handling impotence is successful, should also be supported by the implementation of healthy lifestyle, such as:
- Trying to prevent or reduce stress.
- Trying to lose weight if you are obese.
- Exercise regularly.
- Eat healthy foods.
- Do not smoke or quit smoking.
- Not consuming excessive liquor.
- Do not use illegal drugs.
There is a special type of exercise that is usually recommended for those who experience erectile dysfunction due to leakage of blood vessels, namely Kegel exercises. This gymnastics aims to strengthen the pelvic muscles by training the contractions and relaxation of these muscles so that men who do this gymnastics can achieve an erection without additional treatment. This gymnastics is also often recommended for those who experience urinary incontinence or the inability of the body in controlling urine discharge.
Currently, there are several kinds of medicines, tools, and surgical procedures that can be applied to overcome impotence, including:
- Sildenafil, tadalafil, vardenafil. These three drugs are effective in increasing blood flow to the penis temporarily. These drugs should only be consumed one tablet in one day and usually 30 minutes to one hour before sexual intercourse. Examples of these side effects may include digestive disorders, back pain, nausea, vomiting, and headaches. All three drugs are classified as prescription drugs whose use needs guidance from the doctor and carefully. Similarly, the use of these drugs in patients with heart problems and blood pressure treated with nitrate drugs, should be consulted first with a doctor. Sildenafil, tadalafil, and vardenafil combined with nitrate drugs can cause rapid and sudden drop in blood pressure (hypotension).
- Testosterone hormone injections.
- Alprostadil. This drug is used by inserting it into the urethral tube through the tip of the penis or it can also be injected into the side of the penis to cause an erection.
- Vacuum pump. This tool serves to draw blood into the penis resulting in an erection. Erections are then maintained by pairing a rubber ring to the base of the penis. However, this ring should be removed after 30 minutes to prevent the occurrence of penile tissue damage and restore circulation. Vacuum pumps are quite effective in assisting patients with impotence. It was reported that ninety percent of users of this tool are able to have sex.
- Operation. Surgery or surgery is usually done if impotence due to obstruction of blood supply to the penis can not be handled by drugs or other tools. In addition, surgery is also usually reserved for men who experience impotence due to anatomical problems in his penis and due to serious injury to the pelvis.