Signs And Symptoms of Bronchitis
The main signs and symptoms of bronchitis are dry cough. But there is also the possibility of coughing out a thick yellowish-gray mucus, though this is not always the case. Coughing may persist for several weeks after other symptoms disappear. A sustained cough can make the chest and abdominal muscles hurt.
Other Symptoms That Appear
Other bronchitis symptoms are:
- Hard to breathe
- Sore throat
- A little fever and shivering
- Blocked noses and sinuses
- Body aches
These symptoms may not be severe and you may not need to see a doctor, but the symptoms of bronchitis are similar to pneumonia. It is important to pay attention to changes in symptoms experienced.
Long-term or Chronic Bronchitis
The symptoms of chronic bronchitis usually worsen when the weather becomes colder or drier. Generally, patients with chronic bronchitis have two severe bronchitis attacks in a year. If you suffer from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), you will be more out of breath during exercise or on the move. The following are symptoms that usually appear in chronic or acute bronchitis:
- Production of mucosa or mucus is yellow, green, grayish, and can be mixed with blood lasting at least 3 months and repeated 2 times or more in a year.
- Chest infections many times.
- Hard to breathe.
- Chest feels uncomfortable.
Chronic bronchitis is characterized by a productive cough that lasts at least three months and will resurface for at least two consecutive years.
The Right Time to Check Yourself to a Doctor
Immediately see a doctor, if you suffer:
- A very severe cough or that lasts longer than three weeks to interrupt sleep and daily activities.
- Fever for more than three days.
- Your coughing mucus is accompanied by blood.
- Breathe rapidly about 30 times per minute or experience chest tightness.
- Easily drowsy or confused.
- Have been exposed to bronchitis many times before.
- Suffer from heart or lung disease, such as asthma, emphysema, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) or congestive heart failure.
- Suffer from HIV-AIDS.