Causes of ADHD in Children
The causes of ADHD in children can not be known with certainty. But a number of studies show that a person’s risk to suffer from this condition can be caused by a combination of several factors.
- Hereditary factors. Have a mother, father, or relative with the same condition or other mental disorder.
- Premature birth, ie before 37 weeks’ gestation.
- Abnormalities in the structure or function of the brain, such as the imbalance of neurotransmitter levels in the brain or its impaired performance.
- Brain damage that occurs in the womb or early age.
- Mothers who use illegal drugs, consume alcohol, and smoke during pregnancy.
- Exposure to toxins from the surrounding environment in childhood, such as lead contained in paint.